Thursday, March 1, 2012

Get Fired Up Blogfest!




Melissa Sugar from Have You Heard is hosting the Get Fired Up Blogfest to encourage bloggers to help others receive the recognition they deserve. After we've successfully given a new blogger all our experience has to offer, we are to post about it today. Suddenly, I'm transported back in college with my number two pencil and blank blue book, about to take a final in a class I've never even gone to before. 

I tried doing the assignment by following new bloggers. Some had less followers than I did, while others had only been blogging for a few months and already had more than double. I still tried to be friendly and supportive, but I didn't exactly do any extra credit. I wish I could say that I helped someone write with more feeling, comment with more flavor, or eat with more fiber. 

Rather than receive an Incomplete, I would like to try to redeem myself by writing about someone who helped me "Get Fired Up"  when I first started blogging.  It was around this time last year when Rhonda at Laugh- Quotes and Kibitz Spot suggested that I sign up for the A to Z April Blogging Challenge.


                         A TO Z CHALLENGE

When someone has a tagline that reads, "Laughing Around The Globe," you know that you'll have fun cheering each other on. Since I had only been blogging for a short time, I was nervous about having to come up with a topic beginning with a different letter of the alphabet everyday except Sundays* for an entire month. Immediately after I signed up, host Arlee Bird welcomed me along with the co-hosts. Some of the other fellow participants also started following me before the challenge even began.

All of my fears subsided and new friendships were formed. On the first day we posted about everything from A is for Ant to Antidisestablishmentarianism. I went into A to Z expecting a blogging boot camp, and was thrilled to meet a friendly community of supportive bloggers. I also gained more than 50 followers, while some gained over 100.

Now I'm really looking forward to seeing the gang again this year. It will be even better than a high school reunion, because I don't have to worry about squeezing into a dress. There's still time to sign up, and the goal is to have 1000 participants by the end of today. The 2012 A to Z Blogging Challenge  starts one month from now on April 1st, so you can schedule your posts ahead or take it one day at a time. 

Thanks to Melissa who created the Get Fired Up Blogfest in the tradition of  "Pay It Forward."  Now it's my turn to point all of you in the right direction, and up to you to make the most of it.    



*April 1st is the only Sunday post
                                                                                                                     

28 comments:

  1. This is the first I've heard of the On Fire Blog Fest. I've been signed up for the A-Z challenge for awhile. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those involved in the A to Z really make a difference, don't they? And you did do your extra credit because you inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! My first A to Z Challenge was last year, too. What a blast I had!

    I signed up for Melissa's blogfest as well and tried doing various things myself, but I'm afraid that I,too, had to take an incomplete as things got crazy around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The A to Z made all the difference to my blogging life.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The A-Z Challenge was what really kick-started my blogging as well. It was the best blogging decision I've made and I can't wait for another round this year. I know I will love your posts!

    I'm not familiar with Rhonda's site, I am going to check her out now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great time with Arlee's A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ciara - Looking forward to seeing you at A to Z!

    Alex - You really do appear at the speed of light! Thanks Alex!

    Melissa - It will be fun doing A to Z together! Melissa S. has also been extremely busy, so I think she'll understand.

    Yvonne - It's where we first met, and I can't wait to see you again this year! You're smart to have everything ready to go!

    Julie - I'm so glad I met you last year! I also love your posts, and I look forward to laughing again with you this year! Rhonda is taking her family on a trip around the world for 250 days, so her blog should be really interesting!

    Carol - It will be fun! You could do a Top Ten List with the alphabet! Thanks Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Julie :) I am really glad you think I helped get you fired up, I thought you were already awesome, you just needed to get found. And, I have seen your photos, I am guessing you can still fit into those high school dresses. I can fit in mine too - well at least the baseball caps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda - I've been cleaning out my mom's house since she moved, and I'll bet that I'll find some of my high school clothes in my old closet! Good thinking about the baseball caps, and any old socks without holes should fit like a glove! Everything else goes straight to charity! Thanks again Rhonda! Julie

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Lass - Although Get Fired Up is closed, you can still sign up for A to Z. Thanks for stopping by!

      Tonja - We did meet during the challenge last year! You've also been very supportive to me, and I really appreciate it! This year should be even more fun! Thanks Tonja! Julie

      Delete
  10. I think we 'met' during the A-Z challenge last year. And you've definitely been a supportive voice all year through my ups and downs. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Julie. Great post. Although I've only recently started following your blog, you have made me feel welcome here. You have followed my blog and you were supportive of my first guest post that I did, on Wednesday, over at Breakthrough Blogs. I definitely think you've earned your extra credit!

    Susanne
    PUTTING WORDS DOWN ON PAPER

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm an honest person, Julie, so I won't tell you that you've inspired me to eat more fiber. But your every post and comment, full of feeling and flavor, inspires me. And I've been blogging since I ate fiber for the last time (about 3 years ago).

    Glad you're doing the challenge. I hate to skip it (other commitments, yada yada), but I'm going to enjoy reading others' alphabetical posts.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susanne - Though I read Stephen's post on your blog, a kinder, gentler Julie beat me to your guest post at BB! So not only do you have to take away my extra credit, but you'll have to subtract points for tardiness! I still come out ahead as this is my first try at "freewriting!" Thanks so much Susanne!

    Robyn - I am so envious that you can lead a fiber free lifestyle, but I felt the same way when I was your age. You always inspire me with your quick wit, and thoughtful comments! Sorry you won't have time for the challenge in April, as I know you have a lot on your plate. Thanks for everything Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And I just wanted to point out that you have now inspired me to blog about fiber. LOL. This is such a sweet and humorous post. I love your attitude and wit. You definately do not get an incomplete. I think it is great that you recognized someone who helped you. Your positive energy is contagious. I feel certain that you have helped and encouraged many fellow bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Julie
    This is my second year doing the A-Z Challenge. I had a blast last year and met lots of awesome bloggers/writers.
    Nice to meet you *waves*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Melissa - I hope your son is feeling better, and that your husband is finally home from the hospital, and recovering nicely. Thanks for hosting Get Fired Up, and for taking the time to write encouraging words to me, when you're going through so much.

    Mish - So nice to meet you! I took a peek over at your blog, and found an amazing A to Z post! Thanks for following me, and I look forward to seeing more of you! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Julie, I'm a newbie A-to-Z-er, and it's great to read that you found it to be such a positive experience last year. Very encouraging! As much as I'm looking forward to getting my blog on, it's the sense of community that challenges engender that's really pulled me in.

    It's going to be a blast, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sure you're going to have a great time doing A to Z! It's such a fantastic way to meet loads of great new bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm always seeing A-Z around the blogosphere and would love to do it, but I'm intimidated a) by the amount of posting, and b) by how much time I would feel I should put into reading everyone else's posts! So I will probably stand on the sidelines and read what I can, enjoying everything you all put out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. And wasn't it fun in a challenging kind of way? Even though I haven't decided what each post will be yet (well, except 'E'), I'm looking forward to putting it out there again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kern - I'm glad you're participating this year, and you will definitely have a blast since you've already begun meeting other fellow challengers! Thanks for following me, and I can't wait to see you at A to Z!

    Talli - I'll always be grateful that I met you when you co-hosted last year! I know that you'll still be cheering everyone on!

    Susanna - I was exhausted after last April, but I still signed up to do it all over again! You have so many more commitments than I do, so you have to do what works best for you! Glad you'll still be tuning in!

    Al - It was "fun in a challenging kind of way!" I laughed, I cried, I hopped from computer to computer when one would freeze up! Frankly, I'm doing it for the exercise! Glad your 'E' is ready. I'm still working on 'A' though I'll probably need a few 'E's' before it's over! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Last year's A to Z was where we met if I'm not mistaken. I'm looking forward to doing it again this year.

    As for advice to other bloggers, I think I would advise them to keep their posts shorter and easier to read than a University assignment because we want to enjoy reading each other's posts. It shouldn't be a hard evening's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosalind - We did meet last year, and it's been wonderful getting to know you! I definitely agree that less is more for the A to Z posts! I can't wait to see if you create any new words again this year! Julie

      Delete
  23. good to see you are taking part again :)

    RJRdaydreamer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by RJR, and it will be fun to catch up with you again in April! Julie

      Delete