Wednesday, May 3, 2017

IWSG: The Maniacal Miserable Tour

                                                             

It's time for another edition of the  Insecure Writer's Support Group. Be sure to visit Alex J. Cavanaugh and the rest of the talented writers.


The following is a repost from October, 2013 in honor of Mother's Day:

Mom (in  practical off- the-shoulder hiking attire) with our dear girlfriends and tour guide at Masada
                                            

Last week my husband's cousins from Israel came to visit. They had shown us such a wonderful time when we were out there, and we thoroughly enjoyed seeing them again. This brought back memories of my first trip to Israel with my mom in 1984.

It all began when one of my mom's oldest and dearest friends and her husband asked her to join them on a tour of Israel. My mom invited me, and then another close friend decided to share a room with us. I loved her friend dearly, but sometimes they would just get too rowdy late at night when I was trying to sleep. Neither of them knew how to whisper, and I remember curling up with my pillow in the hallway one night until my mom dragged me back in. Yes, I was clearly not the fun one in the group.

Mornings were like boot camp with the three of us sharing one bathroom. My mom woke up two hours before we did to get a head start. She put on her makeup and teased her hair for an hour and a half before it was my turn. I had to take a quick shower while my mom got dressed. Next our friend moved at the speed of light. She was showered and completely ready in about seven minutes flat. Everything was precisely planned out so that there wasn't even a hint of humidity in the air while my mom ignited herself with hairspray. Between the hairspray and cigarette smoke, it was refreshing to go on a tour bus through the smoldering hot desert.

We traveled to Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, and the resort city of Eilat. A highlight was when an eighty year old woman in our group grabbed my arm, and we climbed Masada together. I started screaming for back up when my mom came up behind me. She was sporting an off the shoulder mountain climbing number when she said through clenched teeth, "Shut up Julie. You're embarrassing yourself."

My reward was sitting in the death seat on the bus ride back to the hotel. We all took turns up front next to the fan, and everyone who sat there caught a terrible cold. Everyone that is, except my mom.

In Tel Aviv, I took a day off to go to the beach. There I met a tall, skinny young man who was quite chatty. At first I thought he was being friendly until he turned into a bit of a stalker. After he followed me to my hotel across the street, I politely sat with him by the pool. Then he asked me for a glass of water. I told him to get one at the bar, but he thought it would taste better in my room. I asked him if he thought all Americans were easy, and he said yes. Needless to say, I finally ditched him, and double bolted my door.

Another hotel had a beautiful jewelry store. The owner's son was very cute and flirty, so my mom kept nudging me to flirt back. The next day he called to ask me out. He was very busy, and could only meet at midnight. After I didn't accept his invitation, my mom was disappointed. She couldn't believe that I turned down a nice Jewish boy who was the son of a jeweler. What could possibly happen with a stranger in a foreign country at midnight when odds were good we could get a discount on jewelry cleaner?

Based on those experiences, I would've never dreamed of marrying an Israeli. Though after twenty six years of marriage, my husband would be the first to tell you his wife is a shining example that not all American women are easy.

Happy Mother's Day!


28 comments:

  1. Bummer, huh?
    Just kidding!
    I remember that post. That stalker was creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a pretty good trip and a memory you will probably cherish, except for the stalker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adventure! Glad you let reason guide you and avoided the stalker and the jeweler's son. Yikes! That was a memorable trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A stalker and a booty call. Nice. Ugh, the dating scene was no better then, was it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my hubby would agree on the "American women" closing line. What an adventure. I still hope to get to Israel someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda - I can't believe that I've been to the one place that you haven't visited. Let me know when you decide to visit and I'll be happy to offer some suggestions. Sadly, there aren't too many survivors from our first trip, but the stalker is probably still lurking. Thanks Rhonda!

      Julie

      Delete
  6. Alex - He was creepy, but fortunately nothing happened. Thanks for hosting another wonderful IWSG, Alex! Thanks for visiting even though I was late to the party.

    Natalie - It was my fault for straying from the tour bus. My 80-year-old body guard would've protected me! Thanks Natalie!

    Connie - My mom wouldn't have liked the stalker, because he was too skinny, but was disappointed that I wouldn't meet up with the jeweler's son at midnight. I was always a horrible daughter! Thanks Connie!

    Debra - Now that I think about it, I was pretty selfish not to go on a booty call with the jeweler's son. Then my mom would've had more bathroom time in the morning. What did I know? Thanks Debra!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. GEM JULIE ~
    Pretty easy to see from that photograph why those guys were flirting with you. Had I been there, I would have been, too.
    [;^)}

    ~ D-FensDogG
    [Link:) Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure did enjoy this account! Your mom sounds like quite the character, and really the story of this trip was just very entertaining and enjoyable to read. I like that you've got a photo to go along with it. Now, I want to know how you happened to marry an Israeli! I think there's another fascinating tale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Julie - another fun and wonderful story ... and your Mum's off the shoulder blouse ... just glad you found the man of your dreams and 26 years later are has happy 'as Larry' ... whomever Larry might be - I seemed to miss him ... perhaps he passed you by?! Love the story ... and the photo .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Stephen, Aw thanks! We went on the trip a year after I graduated from college, so I had youth on my side.

    Karen - Our 3oth anniversary is coming up in June, so I might repost a story about our wedding then. He's completely different than the two young men I met on the trip. Thanks Karen!

    Hi Hilary, I wrote the story in 2013 and we'll be married 30 years in June. Time sure flies. My brother still reprimands my mom for wearing tops that expose her décolleté. If it were up to me, I'd wear turtlenecks all year 'round! Thanks Hilary!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember this post! It's one of my favorites, so I'm happy I got to read it again. Happy Mother's Day to you and to your mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol! Thank you and Happy Mother's Day to you!

      Julie

      Delete
  12. I remember that photo. The story and picture are very special in many ways.
    Have a wonderful Mother's Day, Julie.
    Thank you for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Mother's Day to you and your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, this story is new for me, and I enjoyed it... is that the right word? Enjoyed? Or is that just Schadenfreude?

    I don't know if American women are easy or not (seems like a pretty general statement), but I do know that your mom dressed better back then than most American women I know today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for re-posting this one. It's a keeper, and well worth posting every year. I LOVE your mom's off-the-shoulder top. It looks like something I would have worn, too, although perhaps not for a hike in the desert... (I burn too easily. HA!)

    Miss you, girl. I hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved this. Your husband is definitely #1 on lists that don't include stalkers and jerks. Super trip and well remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Robyn, I know that I don't drop by nearly as often as I should, but I think of you often and miss you. Thanks Robyn!

    Lux - Thank you so much! Hope all is well with you!

    B & B - Well a little schadenfreude now and then isn't so bad. At least the story has a happy ending, and there's no question that you've made my mom's month! Thanks Bryan and Brandon!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Susan, Getting a sunburn is the only reason why you wouldn't wear that sexy top for a hike in the desert? My mom never worried about getting a sunburn and even sunbathed in a reflective raft in our backyard. I'm glad that we took the trip together, and it's so sad that the other two wonderful women in the photo passed away. I miss you too, and we really need to catch up soon! Thanks Susan!

    Hi Susan K, Nope he's never a stalker, but we can both be jerks at times! It's funny how completely different my next trip to Israel was more than 20 years later. My husband was a much better tour guide. It's so good to see you! Thanks Susan!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Easy, heh? Well, you showed him and set that record straight. What a great trip and, of course, your mom would never do what everyone else did. She's a true individual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee - Haha, well I tried too anyway! Yes, my mom is a "true individual" and I can't wait to tell her that you said so! Thanks Lee!

      Julie

      Delete
  20. Awesome blog, i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing. Thank for your very good article...!
    ตารางบอล

    ReplyDelete
  21. play bazaar
    satta king You must understand that you may live with tinnitus.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This will allow you to make plans for everything you might need, including getting other people to clear their schedules so that they can help care for you. satta king

    satta king

    satta king

    satta king

    satta Matka

    satta Matka

    ReplyDelete
  23. In the event that a medical coverage organization agent asks you an inquiry to which you don't have a clue about the appropriate response, let them know so. There is no disgrace in disclosing to them that you are uncertain of what they are asking, and they should call your doctor to find the best possible solution. They may appear to be baffled, however that is alright. Try not to let it trouble you.
    Satta King
    Play Bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  24. Do you have an inclination that you are not getting the most ideal medical coverage or perhaps simply making some hard memories in any event, getting health care coverage? In any case, the accompanying article will give you significant medical coverage data that will ideally assist you with using sound judgment about your human services. Satta King
    Play Bazaar

    ReplyDelete