Tuesday, November 6, 2018

IWSG: #MeToo at The Movies?




It's time for another edition of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Be sure to visit Alex J. Cavanaugh and the rest of the talented writers who are always willing to lend a helping hand.  

                     IWSG:  #MeToo at The Movies?

Many cinema classics are known for their romantic love scenes. Everyone remembers when the masculine Rhett Butler (Clark Gable) first kissed selfish Scarlett O'hara (Vivien Leigh) in Gone With The Wind, as well as the iconic scene where Sergeant Milton Warden (Burt Lancaster) and army wife Karen Holmes (Deborah Kerr) were frolicking on a Oahu beach in From Here To Eternity.

But with everything surrounding the #MeToo movement, I wonder if screenwriters will take pause before the handsome leading man takes the lovely leading lady in his arms.

Below is an example of how a future love scene might go in keeping with recent happenings:

This scene takes place outside a New York brownstone apartment, as a young couple are giggling and running upstairs to seek shelter from the rain. Both the man and woman are dressed alike with short hair, black long sleeved t-shirts and black form-fitting pants, as they are equals in every way.

Woman: Would you like to come in for a drink?

Man: Yes, if it's not too much trouble.

They enter the apartment and he sits on the couch while she pours two glasses of wine in the kitchen. Then she brings the glasses into the living room.

Man: Oh, you already poured the drinks?

Woman: Yes, why?

Man: Well, how do I know that you didn't slip anything into mine?

Woman: (sarcastically) So that I could take advantage of you?

Man: Just kidding.

She chooses to overlook his peculiar remark and they toast to getting to know each other better.

After a few more drinks, they look into each other's eyes and move closer.

Man: Is it all right if I kiss you?

The woman leans in.

Man: I want to hear the words.

Woman: Yes, it's all right to kiss me.

They kiss awkwardly and the man jumps up. He pulls something out of his pocket and hands it to her.

She reads it and a strange look comes over her face. 

Woman: Is this some kind of a joke?

Man: No, it's a perfectly legit list of all of the things that we'll likely be doing tonight and hopefully tomorrow morning. Just initial all of the items front and back. Then sign and date at the bottom. Oh, and you also have to include a separate signature for item #103 that states you will not change your mind about consenting 30 years from now. You know, in case I make it big.

Woman: But you play the kazoo in the subway.

Man: Yeah, but I could get discovered any day now.

Woman: What's this part in the contract about size?

Man: Size doesn't matter and it should never matter or be discussed. Just date and initial that too. Which reminds me that as a safety measure, all cellular devices, cameras, and lights should be turned off throughout my stay.

Woman: I don't think you need to worry about that last part or any of this ridiculous contract, as I'm not going to sign anything.

Man: (points to his short and pudgy looking self) Well, then you're not going to have any of this.

Woman: GET OUT!

Man: Calm down. I'm not the enemy here. I did this for you.

Woman: What are you talking about? We just met at a bar across the street about an hour ago.

Man: Well, you're the first woman I've given the contract to. I had my friend who's studying pre-law draw it up on account of the #MeToo movement.

Woman: This has nothing to do with #MeToo.

Man: But, the President said men have to be more careful now. This protects us both from making any mistakes now or in the future.

Woman: The President says and does a lot of things that are just wrong. #MeToo is about women standing together to make sure that men don't take advantage of them in the workplace or anyplace else. The message is simple, "No means no."

Man: So I guess I'll just rip up the contract then.

Woman: Better yet, take it home, so you could shred it and recycle it. Bye bye now! (Before she  completely closes the door, he sticks his head back in.)

Man: Do you have any single friends?

End scene.

                                             

31 comments:

  1. Sadly, there's probably a lot of truth in that scene...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Things may change, hopefully for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked one of the last things the woman said in that scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrys - I hope she got her point across. Thanks
      Chrys!

      Julie

      Delete
  4. Ann - Thank you and the same to you!

    Alex - Hopefully, this an exaggerated version of what might be going through some people’s minds. Thanks for hosting another incredible IWSG, Alex!

    Natalie - I also hope that things change for the better. We have to stay positive. Thanks Natalie!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very entertaining! I think you have a talent for scriptwriting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done. Change for the better is always good, and so is keeping a sense of humor about those changes as things evolve. Thanks for the smiles. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Bill said “It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is”. I am proud of women standing up finally (I am a MeTo also), but romance is not possible if you get to question/statement 103.

    I hope you are doing OK, Julie. I think of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny and worrisome especially that I have read a couple of blogs that ridiculed the scene from GWTW when Rhett takes Scarlett up the stairs to, well, you know. I found it a lusty scene that you know she wants but some call it rape now..sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit - I haven’t heard that interpretation before. It’s a shame that Margaret Mitchell isn’t able to put those extremists in their place. Rhett Butler was no Stanley Kowalski. Maybe they confused their Vivien Leigh movies. Thanks Birgit!

      Julie

      Delete
  9. Nick - I really appreciate your kind words, but I have a long way to go. Thanks Nick!

    Connie - I agree that it’s important for everyone to have a sense of humor even during the most difficult times, Thanks Connie!

    Arleen - I’m also glad that women are standing up for themselves. It’s sad that so many have been afraid to seek justice sooner: Thanks for thinking of me,Arleen. I’m doing fine and hope you’re also doing well.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. GEM JULIE ~

    This line made me laugh-out-loud:

    "But you play the kazoo in the subway."

    He shoulda, coulda, woulda replied:
    "So? Tiny Tim played the ukulele in the subway, and he was later on Johnny Carson's show!"

    One just never knows for sure. Ukulele, kazoo, bagpipes, whizzer ring... they all have their fans. (Me, I hate the bagpipes, though.)

    Julie, I pray your health is heading in the right direction!!

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Stephen, Sorry I didn’t respond sooner. Yes, you’ve given me a new appreciation of Tiny Tim and he would’ve really livened up this scene. The ukulele is a much more challenging. Instrument than the kazoo and I would’ve gladly “tiptoed” through the subway with Tiny Tim back in the day! Thank you for your prayers and I hope you’re doing well, Stephen!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love scene or new age 'non' romantic comedy? Maybe you should turn this into a screenplay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda - Thanks for your encouragement, but I have a long way to go before this would ever make it to any size screen. I’d rather see your photos on the big screen with a famous actress playing you and reanacting your travels!

      Julie

      Delete
  13. Your scene is probably not far off. It's a bit like 1984 I think. Love is contractual and relationships are fraught with danger. I recall hearing about some college here in CA where students were required to fill out a contract of sorts before dating or having intimate contact.

    It's all a bit weird and scary. So much for love and relationships occurring as a result of serendipitous events. So many of the films of the past when looked through the lens of #MeToo are problematic.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lee, College kids required to fill out dating contracts? That is pretty scary! I hope this is one extreme example and others don’t follow suit. There is so much good in the world and we can’t lose sight of,that. Happy Thanksgiving! Thanks Lee!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry I haven't been here in far too long.
    Have a warm-loving, grateful Thanksgiving, Julie.
    Love and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn - Glad you are safe! It’s wonderful that you were so helpful to the victims of the wildfires that destroyed Paradise. Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving, Robyn. Love & blessings to you.

      Julie

      Delete
  16. #MeToo is the new religion. People walking on eggshells 24/7, afraid to say anything that isn't about the environment and sving the planet. A female sudent of mine said, "Professor, you look delicious in your new suit." What was I to do... press that MeToo button? Gve me a break. We need room to breathe, people. Everyone is so sensitive and easily offended it makes me sick. That said (you know me), I hope you're doing fine.

    Blue

    ReplyDelete
  17. We live in a bizarre time. I had a guy friend I've known for months invite me back to his place for a pre-dinner drink. Before I entered his apartment he whipped out his phone and began recording me.

    "Just say towards the phone that you're entering my place after having a few drinks of your own free will."

    Me, "Seriously?"

    Friend - Nods his head vigorously -

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was interesting. Guys are scared now--as some should be. Too bad it's come to this. Women have learned that we can be believed. While Rhett Butler's scooping Scarlet into his arms and climbing the staircase, while she yells no, was considered sexy at the time. But, no means no.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, so much for romance. Loved the scene and the short, pudgy guy with lots of ego.

    ReplyDelete
  20. scary...about dating contract.

    well written dialog.
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  21. Blue - I agree that many people are overly sensitive and we all need to laugh more at ourselves. You were wise to take the “delicious” comment as a compliment and nothing more. I’m doing fine, thanks and it’s always nice to hear from you!

    Adrienne - Wow, I can’t believe he actually recording you agreeing to enter his apartment! Some guys really are taking drastic measures! Now I’m wondering if you saw him again? Thanks Adrienne!

    Diane - I agree that no means no and that should never change. Thanks Diane!

    Sorry it took me so long to get back to all of you, Happy Holidays & a healthy New Year!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lee - Well hopefully. this won’t change true romance. We must never give up on our dreams. Hope you’re holding up okay, Lee. I know the holidays must be a difficult time for you. Take care.

    Tanza - Yes, it is pretty scary. Thanks Tanza!

    Happy Holidays & a healthy New Year!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Try getting a noise generator to place by your bed.play bazaar
    satta king

    ReplyDelete
  24. Although you should always exercise common sense with friends' advice, the input of associates who've already had cosmetic surgery can be vital when you're choosing procedures and doctors. play bazaar
    play bazaar
    satta king

    ReplyDelete
  25. In the event that you don't utilize your medical coverage much, yet at the same time need the significant serenity realizing you have the inclusion, at that point a wellbeing investment account might be a decent alternative for you. By putting cash you would have used to pay premiums into this investment account, the cash develops and would then be able to be utilized as the need emerges.
    Satta King
    Play Bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  26. A few organizations won't give any inclusion to you or your family in a remote nation except if you buy additional inclusion. You may not wind up requiring it, yet it is in every case preferred to be sheltered over sorry when you are voyaging.
    Satta King
    Play Bazaar

    ReplyDelete