Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Punctually Late

                                                                                                 Julie Kemp Pick


Every morning as the school bus would pull up,
The little girl would be seen running down the street.
As she screamed "wait for me," before the doors closed shut,
Barely catching her breath, surrendering to defeat. 

The teenager lived a few blocks from the high school,
But that first morning class was always a chore,
She vowed to wake up earlier to abide by the rules,
After her alarm went off, she reset it for a few winks more.

Her English teacher sent her off to detention,
After she repeatedly came to class tardy.
The lesson of punctuality lost its retention.
She tried, but still showed up late for the party.

She served time for her crime at the Behavioral Adjustment Center,
Where she sat with a cluster of greasers, and druggies, in a daze.
While she worked on her paper about shutting down the BAC,
For which her teacher who sent her rewarded her with an "A."

Years later, her husband thought he would break her,
When they were invited to an early morning affair.
He set all the clocks back an hour, before he would wake her,
In the hope they would arrive at the designated time there.

She grew suspicious and found the forgotten thermostat clock.
He confessed that his trick was to help her become punctual,
She smiled to herself as she paused to take stock,
Oh how he would've enjoyed the meal, had his jaw been functional. 


P.S. In keeping with the theme, I want to extend a very belated thank you to Rosalind Adam  for passing this adorable award on to me. Rosalind is a gifted writer who is always entertaining, extremely generous, and hopefully very forgiving.

One of the rules for this award is to list a recent book that I would recommend. I'm really enjoying Talli Roland's The Hating Game which is a fun, fast paced read filled with surprises.


           

 I would like to share this award with these delightful bloggers who are witty, talented and supportive. If I've forgotten anyone, let me know and I'll be happy to add you to the list. Please forgive me for changing the rules, and encouraging everyone to do whatever works for them. Be sure to check out all of these wonderful blogs listed in no particular order:
 
 Julie @ What Else Is Possible

Rhonda @ Laugh-quotes

Delores @ The Feathered Nest

Susan @ I Think; Therefore I Yam

Elaine @ My Next 20 Years of Living

26 comments:

  1. Loved the poem , excellent to read, well done on your well deserved award, what a cutie the dog is, also well done to the people you're passing it onto.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem. Are you on time now? Congrats on the award. Thank you so much for passing it on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the mention and for your kind words *blushes profusely*

    What a hilarious poem but I do hope it isn't autobiographical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the poem, Julie! So funny! Thanks so much for the award, I'm so thrilled to receive it. I love that little doggie, too adorable.

    Good to know you are enjoying The Hating Game, I have that on my list and it is next up, I'm looking forward to reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Hey, he was only trying to help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tried that trick myself but since I know the clocks are adjusted, I'm always cheating. It's amazing the kind of time math you can do when half-awake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Autobiographical? - You guessed it.

    Has she changed? - Not a bit, but she's worth the wait!

    Congratulations!

    lrk

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Yvonne - Thank you! It's a real compliment coming from you as you've received so many awards!

    @mbj/Delores - Yes, no, maybe. Thank you and enjoy your well-deserved award!

    @Rosalind - This was long overdue! Thank you for your patience and all of your support!

    @Julie - I didn't forget that you "tagged" me, but I thought that you would rather look at this adorable dog, then have me ramble on about chicken meat and hot flashes after the fact! Thanks Julie!

    @Alex - Of course you would side with my imaginary male character! No wonder you are able to lead an army!

    @Julie F.- So true! Isn't there a colloquialism for this type of situation?

    @lrk - You must have me confused with someone else sir! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Julie .. loved the story .. and a well deserved award from Ros .. and I loved Irk's comment! Happy times .. some are early, some are late!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, ma'am. I'll respond on next Wednesday's blog. Great poem, by the way. Not that I've ever had a problem with punctuality. (riiiiiight)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Julie. I really enjoyed your poem that tells a fun story. I especially like that she got an "A" on the paper!
    Looks like I have a few blogs to check out and I need to order Talli's book. Thanks for mentioning those.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Hilary - Thanks so much Hilary and lrk thanks you too! You deserve a special award for your last blog alone which had romance, intrigue, poetry and history, not to mention great photographs! It was a mini masterpiece!

    @Susan - Just being here is thanks enough for me! If you want to post your well-deserved award, feel free to do so at your convenience. But don't interrupt your writing flow if you're on a roll which you usually are!

    @Robyn - She really did! They're a great group of gals and as a fellow "seriously cute blogger," you have much in common with them! I'm glad The Hating Game is on your list! Talli also has a great sense of humor that I know you'll appreciate! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the award - and you are a seriously cute blogger. I haven't been called cute since my days sitting next to you in the BAC. LOL Great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll have to admit that I'm not only a stickler for being on time, but I like to be early. Fortunately, my wife is of similar mind on this. Punctuality was ingrained in me by my father. I think it's not only considerate, but sometimes it can be quite beneficial.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Rhonda - Now I'll have to create a best response ever award in your honor! Glad to know you didn't leave your sense of humor in Fiji, and you are seriously cute!

    @Lee - You are absoulutely right! You wouldn't have been able to accomplish all that you did with the A to Z Challenge, if you weren't a disciplined and organized person. I still don't know how you managed it, but I applaud you for all of your efforts! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, thank you LOADS for the recommendation - I really appreciate it! :)

    The ending of your poem made me snort. Sounds like something Mr TR would do! Ah, men...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Talli, I hope you weren't eating or drinking at the time! I really am enjoying your book! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Nancy, I'm still laughing about your Panty Meme! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  19. "..had his jaw been functional."

    Oh, dear.
    Great poem, but have to admit this last line sent me for a loop. HA!!

    Congrats on the award, too, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Bryce - Coming from someone who has a zest for zingers, I really appreciate the compliment! Thanks Bryce!

    @RJR - Thanks for such a thoughtful award! I really appreciate you following me too! We had some great times during A-Z and hope to continue to stay in touch! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can so identify with the punctually late. I was born four days late, and I haven't caught up yet. Husband, however, is punctually early. Together, we usually arrive punctually on time.

    Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Carol - Sounds like you make a great team! Thanks so much for following me, and I look forward to spending quality time Under the Tiki Hut! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  23. I most like the ending. It has punch.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Angela! No pun intended I'm sure! Julie

    ReplyDelete