Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Confessions Of A TV Addict

                                                                                                               
                                                                                                             Julie Pick


Some of my best memories growing up were eating dinner on our TV trays, watching our favorite shows as a family. When my brother and I were little, we were able to share the same Lazy Boy chair, while my parents spread out over the couch. Friday was pizza night and when my parents kissed, we knew that was the signal to start the meal. Though the TV line-up changed, the ritual remained until long after I had my very own folding chair, while my brother had the comfortable big chair all to himself.

I always looked forward to snuggling up and watching shows like The Twilight Zone and Night Gallery. We'd even turn the lights out when Creature Features was on. The old B/W movies were just frightening enough to be scary for kids and amusing for adults. They still show Twilight Zone reruns on the Sci-Fi channel and even fifty years later, the episodes are still timeless.

As I got older I fell in love with Freddie Prinz on Chico & The Man, and wanted to be Mary Tyler Moore and Carol Burnett. When Saturday Night Live began in 1975, I was thrilled to have a regular Saturday night date. I was in 8th grade and my social life was practically non-existent. I still watch SNL with my husband, and even though it is not as consistently funny as it was back then, it's still worth it to see Tina Fey as Sarah Palin or Jim Carrey as The Black Swan.

The lessons from sitcoms like Andy Griffith and Leave It To Beaver are still relevant today. I enjoy watching  reruns of  Wally and the Beaver with my boys, and a few of their friends over the years have reminded me of Eddie Haskell.  It didn't bother me that Wally stayed in high school for six years, because he always looked after The Beaver, was polite to his parents, and never kept his elbows on the table.

Modern Family and The Middle are among the best recent family comedies. The daughter Sue Heck from The Middle reminds me of my awkward teenage years. She worked hard to be a part of every school team until she finally made the one team that didn't have try-outs, cross country. I auditioned for every high school play before I had a part in the chorus in the spring of my junior year. How I wish I could've known the lyrics to every song and been able to sing on key at a moments notice like the stars of Glee.

There are so many shows that I've grown to rely on from Curb Your Enthusiasm to Mad Men. DVR's make it even easier for me to get my fix 24/7. Fortunately, I know there are other addicts out there. When my friend was having issues with her boyfriend who wanted to meet in person to discuss their relationship, she told me that she didn't want to lose him, but she'd rather watch The Bachelor.

5 comments:

  1. I like all the same shows except The Middle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm waiting for your next story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are a hoot!!! What a fantastic writer! You make me relive my past as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great TV memories here. No SNL here, too bad. Like you said, it was a great laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your blog and that you too are am empty nester. I just wrote a blog similar to yours so if you are interested, check me out.

    Rosy
    rosythereviewer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete