Thursday, January 6, 2011

Tears & Jeers: When The Kids Go Back To College

                                                                                                            Julie Pick


On Friday December 17, I went through my checklist before I left the house: kitchen clean, bathroom spotless, sunroom sparkling and out the door. Several hours later, I returned to a completely different home. After I made my way through the fog of  dirty laundry, shoes and wrappers, I was almost lassoed by the lap top and phone chargers laying in the middle of the floor, but fortunately the open refrigerator door broke my fall. When I thought no one could hear my screams over the blasting T.V., my 19 year old son said " Hi mom I'm home."

When we first became empty nesters last fall, I went through the 5 stages of grief. 1) DENIAL:  No my kids weren't really going to be away for so long. They'll come back to visit almost every weekend. 2) ANGER:  How could they leave me! I sat through football games and wrestling tournaments and even had to wash their smelly uniforms and this is how they repay me? 3) BARGAINING: Okay if I don't nag them  maybe they'll call once in a while. 4) DEPRESSION: Why do I need to get dressed it's only 4 P.M. I need to rest up in case they decide to call me. 5) ACCEPTANCE: Did you hear that? Nobody's arguing with me about anything! I can have my car whenever I want it! I don't have to walk around the house with a dust buster attached to my hip!

On December 19th, my older son returned from law school and the family was together again. I was back to cooking, cleaning and lots of laundry, not to mention all the late nights waiting up for them. While my younger son and I still had our share of disagreements, I noticed a quiet elegance about my firstborn. He genuinely missed his little brother and took him under his wing during his short break.

As I was driving my older son to the airport to begin his next semester, I reflected on what a positive experience law school and college have been for both of my boys. It's taught them to be more  independent and outgoing and to even have a deeper appreciation for each other. I couldn't help but cry when I kissed my heir goodbye.  Then my young silver-tongued son turned to me and said "Come on mom, I'm taking you and Nana out to lunch." I had to smile as I remembered I still had my spare at home with me for 2 more weeks.  After that it would be back to the empty nest and the remote control would be all mine.  

9 comments:

  1. I love how you're so passionate about what you are writing. It's great how you can find something you truly care about and make it a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't parse every word. Develop your personal style and let the words flow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep on writing! I am with you all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 8 more years until I am an empty nester. Did you want to borrow my child

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 4 stages:
    1. Serene
    2. Happy
    3. Happier
    4. Happiest

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made me cry.You are so great.Don't forget who made you famous.Simone

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine are still little (ish) and always here, so I cannot relate, but I can laugh. Loved your opening paragraph. Really sucked me into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was GREAT....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tremendous literary prowess.

    ReplyDelete