As I was getting my mom's house ready to put on the market, I noticed that the lock on one of her door knobs was broken. I purchased a new one at the hardware store when my son noticed a small label on the front of the package. It was a disclosure required by California law that this product may contain small traces of lead which may cause cancer.
Since we live in Illinois, it was advised to wash hands thoroughly after each use. Needless to say, I returned the deadly door knob, and drove to another store to purchase one without any fine print.
This led me to an article about the dangers of antique pewter. It mentioned that the older door knobs, drawer pulls, or any type of hardware could contain almost 15% of lead. It was strongly recommended not to take a chance on putting any pewter objects in a baby's room as infants and small children often wrap their mouths around everything in sight.
This raises some important questions. Do Californians have more of a fighting chance against lead poisoning than the rest of us? How does this possibly relate to Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group?
We need to join forces, and proceed with closed mouths when we come into contact with anything that may contain lead in it. Then we must put our insecurities on hold, as we become human metal detectors. Hence, when opportunity knocks from that agent or publisher you were waiting for, calmly open the door with a gloved hand.